Measuring Instruments are for, what else, measuring! I have numerous different tools to measure with. I use:
- 24+ inch steel ruler to layout long lines and to act as a guide for cutting
- 6 inch plastic ruler for the smaller things like finding the center of a strap
- 9x12 inch square steel rule for getting corners nice and true, as well as a guide for cutting shorter lengths
- 12 inch plastic mini "T" square for the not so important squaring and measuring jobs
- 3x4 inch steel true square for those exacting specifications
I also occassionally use a 25 foot steel tape measure for estimating the placement of patterns on a side of leather and to make sure I have enough length in a side to cut a good long strap.